[imp] Apache log file issues with IMP & Horde (fwd)

chris@telerama.com chris@telerama.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:19:24 -0400 (EDT)

> > apache in free(): warning: page is already free.
> > apache in free(): warning: chunk is already free.
>
> Uh huh ... I've been driving myself batty with this problem, although I
> thought it was introduced in PHP-4.0.5 (since it never happened to me
> before).
>
> Can you reproduce it?  It happens to my OpenBSD box on average once a
> week, but I can't reproduce it on demand :-(

Interesting.  I can't reproduce it on demand either.  But, it does
happen pretty often on this system, probably because several thousand
people use it (not all at once, this is just how many users have
access to it...)

> As a workaround, you should be able to disable it via malloc.conf(3).
> On OpenBSD, this is done by "ln -s N /etc/malloc.conf".  If possible,
> try to reproduce it first though; this is serious problem I'd like to
> track down.

There doesn't seem to be an 'N' option available for malloc on my
FreeBSD system (according to malloc(3).)  Can you let me know what
this option does exactly in OpenBSD?

The closest I've gotten to finding where the error log message is
occuring from is here:

in /usr/ports/www/mod_php4/work/php-4.0.4pl1:
# find . -print |xargs grep "already free"
./ext/mysql/libmysql/safemalloc.c:  /*  (1) The memory was already free'ed

If anyone has any clues on how to generate a core dump to debug this
problem, I'd love to know.  I'm thinking about maybe giving this
option a try (from malloc(3)):

---
A       All warnings (except for the warning about unknown flags being
        set), and failure to allocate memory become fatal.  The process
        will call abort(3) in these cases.
---

Anyways, at least I understand it's a PHP bug now.  I will try
searching php-dev and see if I come up with anything...

Thanks,
-Chris