[imp] Re: [horde] Horde running on Windows?

Raoul EMIN raoul.emin@bigfoot.com
Wed, 9 May 2001 19:42:38 +0200

Sorry this one also had been forgotten in my Draft folder.

En réponse à Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:

> putting this back on the list for the benefit
> of anyone else interested, and
> so that it ends up in the archives]

> Quoting Todd Aiken <taiken@ubishops.ca>:

>> I am going to try to install Horde and IMP on
>> a Win2k box which willinterface
>> with the Mercury/32 mail transport system
>> which we use with our Novell Netware environment.

> You are aware that IMP doesn't have to be running
> on the same box a IMAP
> server, right?

I saw form David Harris website they
were planing to build an IMAP compliant
version of mercury.

The major problem you will be facing with mercury is that it is not a real
MTA and has to rely on an external smtp server for delivery + a smartmailbox
at your ISP to receive the mails. Not an easy option... If you do not use
the netware specific messaging functions I would suggest you use an IMAP
server together with a real MTA.

Vintramailsrvr pro is free and it can autenticate users against a domain
(which is the reason why you use mercury right?) or any odbc table. It is
yet quite buggy when it comes to MIME autoconversion and tech support is
nonexistent -sic-.

If someone already had a positive experience with a free imap server under
win32 I would appreciate his feedback.

>> I am trying to use a couple
>> of extensions of the latest Apache web server
>> for Win32, but everytime I uncomment any one of
>> them, Apache reports
>> that it can't find it.
>> I have tried playing around
>> with the "extension_dir"
>> parameter in httpd.conf to try to tell it where
>> the extensions can be found,
>> but have yet to get everything
>> loaded without an error message.

> I know Apache can be finicky about
> quotes and paths (c:\ prefixing
> things, etc.), but other than those
> general hints, you should be looking for
> help from an Apache resource here...

This is a PHP problem, I am using IIS (not appache) and solved the problem
copying the extentions DLLs into C:\winnt\system32, plus the command:
regsvr32.exe mydllname.dll. That's extreme, and partially worthless but this
way you're sure it will work in the end.

For the php.ini paths you should use slashes and not backslashes for the win
paths: C:/temp instead of C:\temp. The reason is when a php app intends to
access a subdir in the temp path, the developper has codded it assuming an
unix machine.

PHP accepts C:/temp/mysubdir
or C:\temp\mysubdir
but not C:\temp/mysubdir.

>> - How is composed mail sent via IMP on a
>> Windows machine,
>> since there is
>> no Sendmail?
>> Or does Sendmail exist for Windows a
>> s well?  If not, what
>> can be used in its place, or is it even
>> used at all (ie: does it matter what
>> is in the "path to sendmail" parameter
>> in I believe prepende.php3)?

> The path_to_sendmail parameter is in
> imp/config/defaults.php> 3. I take it
> from that that you're planning on using
> IMP 2.2/Horde1.2. In that case you
> can set
> the path_to_sendmail to false, in w
> hich case IMP will fall back
> on php's mail()
> function. This has a
> few drawbacks (not setting the envelope from
> address correctly, which can cause problems
> with mailing lists), but works. Or,
> you can hack mailfrom() (in horde/lib/horde.lib)
> to do something different, or you can
> find a command-line utility that acts like
> sendmail and accepts the right arguments
> (there _is_ sendmail for win32, but I'm
> not familiar with it).

There is smtpsend.exe as well as the
sendmail.exe provided with the win32
port of lynx, or even blat.exe. I you want
a real sendmail port you've got microsoft
port of sendmail available from the NT
resource kit or the microsoft FTP site.
To be honnest it is just as  the unix
sendmail without the unix world
documentation (read a real nightmare...).

Yet using sendmail or any clone under
win32 is a bad option since it launches a
DOS window everytime it sends a mail:
very slow and, no error checking.

I edited horde.lib and inserted some
lines in order to use a COM component
(try the jmail component or go to dundas
software website) to send the mails.
Using COM components from php is win32
specific and acts a bit like createobject
in VisualBasic (See Php online manual).

> If you decide to go with Horde 1.3/IMP 2.3 (which,
> al though it is still a bit
> of a moving target and in development, it has
> had a bit more use by
> developers on win32), there is an option
> to use SMTP to send mail, which
> should make things easy.

If this is the same one as the smtp class
available in PEAR, it proved not very
efficient in my case (lots of errors
when using cc adresses).

Raoul Emin