about the new 2.3.7-cvs IMP.

Robert Marchand robert.marchand@UMontreal.CA
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:28:41 -0400

Hi,

I just installed the new IMP (2.3.7-cvs as of 6 June 2001) and have a few
questions.

First I like very much the new interface (but where is the status line with
number of
unread messages?).  I'll recommend that we switch when it's ready but here at
University of Montreal we have some local patches on the 2.2.5 version and
I'd like to
now how to migrate to 2.3.7.

Here are my concerns:

1) We have an LDAP server with UTF8 encoding.  With help from this list, I
made a patch
for the 2.2.5 version. Where can I do the same for the new version?  There
would be at
least on new parameter (type of encoding) for the configuration in
sources.php of Turba.
Where to do the translation?  Seems to have change a lot :-).

2) We also use our LDAP server to populate the 'Full Name' and 'email
address' of the user at the login (with a patch in mailbox.php3).  They
cannot change it. How can we do the same now? What are the others
possibilities?  I like the login thing because it's done at one time and
only when needed.  We have to keep the prefs in the local mysql table
because our LDAP server is readonly.  Only full name and email would come
from LDAP.

3) We have a login page (standard login page of IMP) with a list of IMAP
servers that the
user choose.  There is really is two choices (students server or employees
server) but to
make things equals, the 'default' server is not a real choice but an
indication to choose the
good one.   It's something like this:

user _______
pass_______

server "please choose a server" (default)
           "students server"
	"employees server"

This is not without problems.  Often, users forget to choose the server and
the login fails.
This is OK with version 2.2.5 because all you have to do is begin
again.  It seems not so
with the new version.  My tests show that if you fail the first time, the
only way after that
is to shutdown the browser (or clear the cookies?) and restart it.  If we
keep the same way
of selecting the server with the new version, it will be a major problem.

4) Last, I am with others that would like an "addressbook" button on
IMP.  We are not
using the others features of Horde (apart from Turba).  I also find the
'expand names'
unintuitive.

Thanks.
-------
Robert Marchand                 tél: 343-6111 poste 5210
DGTIC-SIT                       e-mail: robert.marchand@umontreal.ca
Université de Montréal          Montréal, Canada