[imp] about the new 2.3.7-cvs IMP.

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:18:11 -0400

Quoting Robert Marchand <robert.marchand@UMontreal.CA>:

> 1) We have an LDAP server with UTF8 encoding.  With help from this list, I
> made a patch for the 2.2.5 version. Where can I do the same for the new
> version? There would be at least on new parameter (type of encoding) for the
> configuration in sources.php of Turba.

That sounds like the right way to do it. Patch? =)

> Where to do the translation?  Seems to have change a lot :-).

Read imp/po/README.

> 2) We also use our LDAP server to populate the 'Full Name' and 'email
> address' of the user at the login (with a patch in mailbox.php3).  They
> cannot change it. How can we do the same now? What are the others
> possibilities?  I like the login thing because it's done at one time and
> only when needed.  We have to keep the prefs in the local mysql table
> because our LDAP server is readonly.  Only full name and email would come
> from LDAP.

Hmm... right now you can't mix sources, though I vaguely remember Jon
mentioning wanting to implement this? =) You could also include some code to
auto-populate the mysql table from the LDAP server for you, while keeping those
two prefs locked.

> 3) We have a login page (standard login page of IMP) with a list of IMAP
> servers that the user choose.  There is really is two choices (students
> server or employees server) but to make things equals, the 'default' server
> is not a real choice but an indication to choose the good one.   It's
> something like this:
>
> user _______
> pass_______
>
> server "please choose a server" (default)
>            "students server"
> 	"employees server"
>
> This is not without problems.  Often, users forget to choose the server and
> the login fails. This is OK with version 2.2.5 because all you have to do is
> begin again.  It seems not so with the new version.  My tests show that if
> you fail the first time, the only way after that is to shutdown the browser
> (or clear the cookies?) and restart it.  If we keep the same way of selecting
> the server with the new version, it will be a major problem.

I've just cleaned up some of the server stuff and made it so that any entry in
the $servers array whose key ($server['key']) starts with an underscore ('_')
will be ignored by the submit_login() function, so you can use them as labels
and no login attempts will be submitted for them. There's an example in
config/servers.php.dist.

The larger problem is one with prefs that's been around a while, and we still
need to figure out how to solve it.

> 4) Last, I am with others that would like an "addressbook" button on IMP.  We
> are not using the others features of Horde (apart from Turba).  I also find
> the 'expand names' unintuitive.

You'll be getting an option to put whatever apps you want in the menubar soon.
Can you say _why_ you find Expand Names unituitive?

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Some fallen angels have their good reasons.