[imp] handling semicolon separated addresses

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:35:50 -0400

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:22:40PM +0100, Henry Blackman (h.blackman@chester.ac.uk) wrote:

> > > Yes, Outlook Express use semicolons (plus space) to separate adresses
> >
> > Oy. Plus SPACE? Man, embrace and replace. Two more questions -- first,
> > do commas work as well, or are semicolons required? And what would
> > this look like in Outlook Express:
> >
> >   To: Rich <rich@horde.org>, IMP list <imp@lists.horde.org>
> >
> > I'm not sure I grok the "plus space" part.
>
> I've replied to this message using that header, it seems to work OK.  Do we
> really need to worry about OE doing things in a non-standard fashion
> though?

Yes, I want to explain why users use semicolons and so forth in the
FAQ entry. I don't use OE, nor do I have a machine to install it on,
so I have to ask.

I suppose that IMP would ideally explicitly point out to the user that
they're using a common but wrong syntax -- if there's a ";" without a
":", for instance -- but I'm not sure that parsing headers manually is
worth the trouble.

But I still don't know what "semicolons (plus space)" means!

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!