[imp] handling semicolon separated addresses

Henry Blackman h.blackman@chester.ac.uk
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:42:17 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Lafferty" <rich@horde.org>
> Yes, I want to explain why users use semicolons and so forth in the
> FAQ entry. I don't use OE, nor do I have a machine to install it on,
> so I have to ask.
>
> I suppose that IMP would ideally explicitly point out to the user that
> they're using a common but wrong syntax -- if there's a ";" without a
> ":", for instance -- but I'm not sure that parsing headers manually is
> worth the trouble.
>
> But I still don't know what "semicolons (plus space)" means!

When you press "Send" in a compose window, OE parses and visibly changes the
"[To|Cc|Bcc]:" GUI textbox, and, in the case of my last email, will reduce
the To: GUI textbox "Rich; IMP", however it doesn't seem to make similar
changes to the actual header it sends.  I'm assuming that it's adding the
addresses to my Windows addressbook (I have this option set) at this point.

In fact, if you manually type a semi-colon as the seperator, in the header
it correctly formats the [to|cc|bcc] lines by replacing the semi-colon (and
any other spurious spaces) with a comma followed by a single space.  So
"Rich   <rich@horde.org>;    IMP list   <imp@lists.horde.org>" would be
reduced to "Rich <rich@horde.org>, IMP list <imp@lists.horde.org>" which I'm
guessing is correct for a header.

Hope that helps (and it makes sense).