[imp] Filters : field name does not get translated

Jan Schneider janmailing@gmx.de
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:27:58 +0200

Zitat von Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>:

> Quoting Jan Schneider <janmailing@gmx.de>:
>
> > We have also "To" and "To:" so that should be no problem.
>
> Still, neither of those is an exact match.

See further down.

> > The problem left is, that the "old" field names ("to") are stored in the
> > prefs. If we change the naming of the fields the old prefs won't work any
> more
> > and even worse: will produce errors. A way to handles this would be to
> > translate the old field names to the new ones if we find already stored old
> > prefs. But is this worth for back compatibility?
>
> What do you mean by new field names? Anything stored in the prefs shouldn't
> be
> localized; I might be misinterpreting you, but if your filters break when you
> switch languages, that's unacceptable.

I think my reply was not clear enogh. Probably I had more thoughts in my mind
than I wrote down. ;-)
My idea was to change the field name in the filter ui (and hence the value of
the pref) to match the strings we already have as gettext string.
E.g. the "to" field should be renamed to "To" or "To:". This is what will be
stored in prefs. In the filter listing will be shown this value or the
translated version if you have another language selected.

I hope this makes things clearer,
Jan.