[imp] MySQL to PostgreSQL conversion tips?

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:23:47 -0400

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:00:13AM -0500, Steven M. Castellotti wrote:

> 	I manager an IMP server for a large number of users (13,000+), and
> lately MySQL seems to be buckling under the load, by the runaway
> spawning of processes, until all system memory is used up, and the
> machine hangs. (Redhat 7.1, MySQL 3.23.39-1)

What version of IMP?

> 	I've heard a lot about MySQL's issues under heavy load, and as a result
> am planning on moving over from MySQL to PostgreSQL. I've found various
> links and information on doing this at:
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/

PostgreSQL is, hands down, my favorite RDBMS. =)

> 	Before I begin, is there anything I should know about when converting
> IMP specifically? Has anyone else done something like this and ran into
> any issues I should know about?

All of the newer CVS code works identically across all of the
supported databases.  Even the schemas are identical.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (B.S.)