[imp] filter - applying

Dan Ellis danellis@rushmore.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:55:16 -0600 (MDT)

My opinion may not count for, but I'm giving it since I am going to be working
on this.

I think that the way to include/not include server-side filters is by adding a
simple variable or two or three the the servers.php file.  The port to connect
and maybe a driver for a particular sieved server.  From here, the appropriate
filter setup is applied.  Have a hook inside of filter.php that says "hey, this
guys got sieve capability", and automatically concatenates ssfilter.php.

Whether the code should be here or there I guess doesn't matter as long as setup
is straight and concise.  I think one of IMPs biggest problems has been the
setup phase.  Everyone loves it when its up and running, myself included.

Maybe the code hooks should belong in IMP and drivers should exist in horde?  I
think that makes some sense.  I don't think it worthwhile to create a seperate
code base for server side-scripting, however.  I also do not think that having
modules or seperate patches provided by contributors for each little thing added
to IMP is very wise.

I think there are enough possible users out there to warrant including sieve in
the mainstream app.  How is sieve suppossed to catch on if no one includes it?

> I don't care how we present it to the user. The prefs system lets you
> define
> links that show up in the UI that point to anywhere. What I mean is that
> the
> server-side filter code doesn't belong inside IMP. The UI will be
> consistent,
> the user doesn't have to know that they've left IMP. But that code
> shouldn't be
> bloating IMP.
>
> > Or do you mean we should move the filter stuff completely out of imp?
>
> The client-side filters should stay.

Sent by Black Hills Fibercom Webmail!