[imp] German translation question

Claus Heiko Niesen cniesen@gmx.net
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:36:45 -0600

> > Redirect would be the better English word.  But it's probably to late to
> > change the terminology.
>
>Why? We're getting ready to release a major version... if people agree
>that it's
>a better word, we should use it.

I thought the term bounce established itself already in e-mail clients but
I guess it's not.  Eudora actually call it "redirect" (never knew this
option existed) and so does GMX (in English language mode).  It seems that
neither Outlook nor Outlook Express have these function.

>And a bounce, in your definition, is....?
>
>I'm really interested!  Because that's how I'd have defined a bounce.
>Well, I'd have defined a bounce as a mail which contains the unchanged
>message (normally/sometimes) plus an error message. But the unchanged
>part is what I'm after.

All of the above and the message gets sent back to the originator and not
somebody else.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214427,00.html explains
the term mainly as an e-mail that is returned to the sender because it
cannot be delivered for some reason.  A brief note at the end mentions that
some products use the term to mean "forward a received note to someone else."