[imp] Message-Display ignores MIME charset

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:51:04 +0100

I had written:

Jan Schneider wrote:
> If I switch to utf-8 it becomes a "y".

The A0 byte is part of the uppercase R (resembling a Latin P); UTF-8 uses
two bytes per Cyrillic charcter. So, if the 3rd word of my example starts
with the Cyrillic letters resembling Latin "Ryck", this is the

expected behaviour (incidentally, this word is transliterated as

"Ruskij").

> If want to change the Horde/IMP output to unicode [...] all translations

> have to be done in unicode. At least my editor doesn't support this,

Correct.

You can easily convert the existing translations to UTF-8 with a suitable
program; no human intervention is necessary.

All but two of the encodings mentioned in the imp/config/lang.php3 file
(IMP 2.2.6) are covered by the WGL4 subset of Unicode, the execptions being
kr and zh-tw. Hence, these translations could be maintained with free
Microsoft fonts and standard PC editors such as Word 2000 under any OS, or
Wordpad under Windows 2000. Cf.
- List of WGL4 characters:
   <http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/demos/wgl4.html>
- Free WGL4 fonts:
   <http://www.microsoft.com/truetype/fontpack/win.htm>
- More WGL4 fonts:
   <http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts.html#wgl4>
- Other editors, other operating systems: see below.

> I don't know if it is a limitation of the editor or of the installed fonts.

Which operating system and which editor are you currently using?

Cf.
- Alan Wood's Unicode Resources
   <http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/>,
- The Unicode Consortium: Useful Resources
   <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/onlinedat/resources.html>,
- The Unicode Consortium: Unicode Enabled Products
   <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/onlinedat/products.html>,
- UTF-8 and Unicode FAQ for Unix/Linux
   <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html>.

Best wishes,