[imp] Problems with sent_mail

Stephan Fabel s.fabel@link-m.de
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:06:41 +0100

Hi Brent,

thanks for your reply.

Brent J. Nordquist wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Stephan Fabel <s.fabel@link-m.de> wrote:
>>when I send an email through the webinterface, it tells me "error
>>saving in sent_mail" (I don't have the exact wording of this error
>>message, sorry).
>>
> Do your Courier IMAP logs show any errors?  Do other email functions work
> properly (i.e., can you delete email, move it to another folder, create
> new folders, etc.)?

I can delete mail, but I cannot create new folders, so therefore, I couldn't
test if I am able to move mail to another one. :-/

The mail logs are normal.

> [I have Courier IMAP and Maildir, but with Horde 2.0/IMP 3.0, so YMMV.]

Well, I am careful touching the whole thing, because my time is limited
regarding troubleshooting if something goes wrong...basically I trust the debian
people and their packages, because they've never failed me.

>>where should I put the sent_mail folder - in the ~/Maildir/ directory,
>>in the homedir, create another Maildir and name it sent_mail?
>
> Definitely under ~/Maildir.  I assume you're using the maildirmake command
> to create them (not just mkdir) since the format is specific.  This is how
> I do it:
>
> maildirmake -f "Sent Items" $home/Maildir
>
> and then I have the appropriate configuration variable set in IMP so the
> name of the folder is "Sent Items".

Well, I executed the above command, it went through - should I see another
folder within the Maildir? Because I just see this:

-rw-rw-rw-    1 stephan  stephan      6965 Dez 20 10:11 courierimapuiddb
drwx------    2 stephan  stephan     10240 Dez 20 10:12 cur
drwx------    2 stephan  stephan      5120 Dez 20 10:11 new
drwx------    2 stephan  stephan      1024 Dez 20 10:47 tmp

The folder also was not visible under IMP or my imap mail client (mozilla). My
personal_folders variable is set to "INBOX.". My folders variable is set to
"Maildir/". When I am trying to create a new folder through the web interface,
imp responds with "Error: the new folder was not created". In the listing I see

As you can see, I am basically left in the dark here. Not that it would be
absolutely needed to create other folders, but I would like to save my sent mail....

Thanks,
Stephan

--
I was going to buy a copy of The Power of Positive Thinking, and
then I thought: What the hell good would that do?