proposed filtering feature

Rémi Cohen-Scali Remi@Cohen-Scali.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 02:57:09 +0100

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment
--------------060200050504060304080504
Hello

I post a new patch for filtering feature. It is almost complete.
It enables the user to filter messages with a model close to the one
used in mozilla, but simpler (only the original actions, move/delete
have been keeped).
A 'rules.dat' filter file importation/exportation is also implemented.
The Outlook format is not yet supported.
I post two patches because I had added a preference to enable the user
to filter at each INBOX reception (filter_on_reception), but I recently
saw that something similar have been added (filter_on_refresh).
The first
    -
http://www.rcsnet.net/horde/imp3-new-filters-wo-filtOnRecpt-20020108.patch
does not contain the filter_on_reception
The second one
    -
http://www.rcsnet.net/horde/imp3-new-filters-w-filtOnRecpt-20020108.patch
does contain it.
I also added some prefs to exclude some flagged/seen messages from
filtering process (for speeding it up).
I made some test with almost 70 filters and 900 messages. Filtering is
about 15s on my PIII 800 with 1Go ram (gnome/mozilla/imapd on same host)
When excluding seen message, filtering make no sensible difference.

This is not yet the final post. I have still to update change log and
write a paper about design. Hope it will be done at the end of next
week. I'll also try to setup a demo site when I'll have some more time
Have a look at it, if you got time and are curious, and tell me what are
your thoughts...

ps. I attached a home made gif (pretty horrible) to be used as a
import/export filters pref icon. Perhaps someone with better graphical
abilities should have a look at it :-)
ps2. If someone knows something about Outlook filters import/export
format, let me know (even if it is not even possible)...

--
                                                          -o)
                   Remi Cohen-Scali                       /\\

--------------060200050504060304080504
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: impexp.gif
Type: image/gif