[imp] any sms + imp patches

Bradley Kieser brad@kieser.net
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:57:41 GMT

I don't know of any relaible services that are free. SMSes cost money to
send so the free services need to cover their costs somehow and one way
is to reduce the costs in the first place!

Anyway, I agree with what you are saying... if you just want a SMS
notification that email has arrived it is different to including SMS as a
part of your inbox (we're talking unified messaging here).

I am more intersted in the latter and I think that the IMP could be a
very powerful tool for integrating SMS with email.

Brad

On 1/8/02, 10:45:09 AM, "Martin List-Petersen" <martin@list-petersen.dk>
wrote regarding Re: [imp] any sms + imp patches:

> > I have been thinking about this and to implement a proper SMS gatewa=
> > would require some server software that would queue messages if the
>  > device was busy.

> That should be a minor problem.

> > Also routing SMSes back from the device to the correct inbox is a
> > problem. I can only think of one way and that is to tag each message=
 with
> > an ID... something that will be prone to error as it would reply on =
the
> > sender getting it right.

> It's more a question of what you want. Do you want to have SMS notify =
or
do
> you want to communicate with / via SMS also ? .. Both is possible a no=
> payable basis. The only problem is, that the service, which i use for =

this i
> quite unstable sometimes.

> It's no problem to get a SMS to a phone (there are several ways to do =

that),