[imp] any sms + imp patches

Martin List-Petersen martin@list-petersen.dk
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:25:54 +0100

> I don't know of any relaible services that are free. SMSes cost money to
> send so the free services need to cover their costs somehow and one way
> is to reduce the costs in the first place!

Jep ... and that's the way it is.

> Anyway, I agree with what you are saying... if you just want a SMS
> notification that email has arrived it is different to including SMS as a
> part of your inbox (we're talking unified messaging here).
>
> I am more intersted in the latter and I think that the IMP could be a
> very powerful tool for integrating SMS with email.

Ok ... it has not to be integrated with IMP. Actually, you could just build
your own sms gateway on whatever platform and then use ***@sms.***.**

If, on the other site, you wanted to integrate the whole thing with the same
eMail-address on no matter what (sending and receiving, means also storing
send sms in sent items folder and incomming sms in inbox of course), then
this is a bit more of a programming task. However .. this should not be
impossible ...

I would rather implement this on a MTA / MDA layer, than implementing it in
IMP. That way it's usable for any mailer. Of course preferences and so on
could be done in IMP.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin@list-petersen.dk