[imp] problem forwarding attachments

Tad Hunt tad@entrisphere.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:40:11 -0700

I'm a bit hesitant to update to the HEAD branch, because it doesn't
seem to be quite so stable on a day to day basis as one of the
official releases.  I switched to IMP, because the webmail service
that my hosting company provided is not stable.  Some of my users
lost all of their mailboxes when the hosting company decided to
upgrade their webmail system.  Anyway,  I fixed that problem by
installing IMP.  It has been extremely stable so far, and I'm *VERY*
happy with it.

The attachment forwarding is the only problem I have encountered.

It appears as though MH (I don't know about other mailers) don't
like the "message/rfc822" sections to be encoded in base64.

I don't have the original message that was forwarded to me through
IMP, so I'm just assuming that IMP added the ``name="unnamed"''
and ``"filename="unnamed"'' terms to the mime headers for each
section.

Thanks for all the great work! This is an excellent product!

I tried postaci and popper_mod before IMP, just because it seemed
like IMP would be way too hard to install.  While it was much more
work than installing the others, the features more than make
up for it!

-Tad

In message <1025032333.3d18c08db9929@bigworm.colorado.edu>, you said:
;Quoting Tad Hunt <tad@entrisphere.com>:
;
;| It looks like IMP rewrites mime attachments in forwarded
;| messages to base64, but it doesn't correctly update the mime
;| headers so that mail readers (such as MH) can correctly
;| extract the information.  In addition, it sets "filename"
;| and "name" to "unnamed", when it should really just leave those
;| terms off so that the receiving mailer can autogenerate names.
;
;I'm in the process of reworking the attachment code so I will take a look
;at this.  I'm not sure what you mean but "not updating the MIME headers" -
;IMP correctly sets the Encoding type to base64 so all MIME compliant mail
;readers should be able to decode these messages.
;
;| For a recent message that was just forwarded to me from an
;| IMP installation I set up, I had to change "message/rfc822"
;| to "application/octet-stream" to make MH decode the message.
;| In addition, I had to remove all of the ``name="unnamed"'' and
;| ``filename="unnamed"'' statements, so that it would autogenerate
;| names for all of the parts of the message (instead of naming all
;| of the parts ``unnamed'' when it extracted them, thus leaving me with
;| nothing but the last part it decoded)
;
;This is strange - there should be no need to switch to application/octet-
;stream from message/rfc822.  I will also take a look at this.
;
;BTW, the MIME handling is much improved in the HEAD branch so you might
;want to try that out also.
;
;michael
;