[imp] [Feature request] Blacklist should MOVE not delete...

Ewout Meij horde@meij.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:14:28 +0200

:

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting Ewout Meij <horde@meij.net>:
>
> | Greetings,
> |
> | I really like the easily available BLACKLIST option in the main IMP
> | window. But
> | I'd like to change the behavour of it so that it does NOT delete email
> | from the
> | blacklisted addresses, but move it to a dedicated folder.
>
> Having more than one blacklist option would be confusing and worthless, in
> my opinion.  The definition of blacklist is "mail from email addresses that
> we do NOT want _ANY_ mail from".  If you want to move these kind of
> messages to a folder, this is filtering not blacklisting.  A simple filter
> by From address will accomplish what you want.

True and accepted.

> | Or:
> |
> | I'd really like an easily available BLACKLIST-like option in the main IMP
> | window. I'd like the email from like-blacklisted addresses moved to a
> | dedicated
> | folder.
>
> This is a better idea.  Maybe a "Filter" link on the message page that will
> take you to the Filter prefs page and prefill several of the fields?

Well, no. What I currently have is a folder [called
IF-YOU-HAVE-NOTHING-BETTER-TODO] wherein I stuff all email that:
- Is not clear that the sender should be on the blacklist
- Is not something send by people I like or own something
- Is not something I haveto/wantto do
- [probably] Does not contain useful information

All want to do is move that stuff with -one- click to that particular folder.
Often these mails will later prove to be SPAM indeed, and thus the source
blacklisted, sometimes it's the usual uproar of infected mails from beloved
windows users, sometimes just wrongly addressed. Stuff I not want in my inbox,
don't want to delete, can't archive to the normal sources...

Am I alone in this?

Cheers,
Ewout
-----
"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether
submarines can swim." --Edsger Wybe Dijkstra 1930-2002