[imp] Fwd: backup question

Michael Geier mgeier@cdmsports.com
Sun Nov 3 18:50:10 PST 2002

due to the lack of any type of configuration:
   IMAP, POP3, Exchange?
   Sendmail, Qmail, Exim, etc.?
   MySQL, PGSql, ODBC?

it is very difficult for anyone to elaborate a backup plan for you.

A backup solution will entail:
     backup of database
     backup of spool directory where physical mail is stored
     backup of user information (usernames, groups, passwords)

On a linux (RH) box, running POP3, Sendmail, and MySQL:
       mysqldump  --all-databases --opt > /path/to/file.sql
       tar xzvf /path/to/mailspool.tar.gz /var/spool/mail/*
       tar xzvf /path/to/mailerconf.tzr.gz /etc/mail/*
       tar xzvf /path/to/userinfo.tar.gz /etc/passwd /etc/group /etc/shadow
(opt)  tar xzvf /path/to/userhome.tar.gz /home/*

       tar xzvf mailbackup.tar.gz /path/to/*

there may be more/less files you wish to backup, directories may be different
based on distro or software, mileage may vary.

Michael Geier
CDM Sports, Inc. Systems Administration
   email: operations@cdmsports.com
   phone: 314.991.1511 x 6505