[imp] Allowing users change their fromaddresses??

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Tue Nov 5 02:59:40 2002

Quoting David <david@family.net.nz>:

> Hi,
>
> I want to allow users to be able to change their from address.
>
> I have trolled through the mail list etc and there are plenty of
> comments about disabling it. I assume it is enabled by default? I may
> have changed something when I installed IMP (3.1) but I have gone
> through my notes and can't find any trace of what I did if I did do
> anything.
>
> The settings ../horde/imp/config/prefs.php  are not locked. The configs
> are included below.
>
> The "from" field appears in the compose window with "default identity"
> following in brackets but is not editable.
>
> I have spent most of my spare time over several days trying to solve
> what I have/haven't done and would appreciate it if someone could steer
> me in the right direction.
>
> The background for wanting to enable this is that users on the mail
> server are identified by a number and alias tables are used to map the
> email address to the user number. It works fine but when IMP is used to
> compose an email it loads the login number obviously and not the email
> address.
>
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> -David.
>

> ../horde/imp/config/conf.php
>
> * NB: If users are allowed to change their fromaddresses (not fullnames,
>  * though), and they have one set, this will be overridden.
>

> ../horde/imp/config/prefs.php
>
> // user full name for From: line
> // see also $conf['hooks']['fullname'] in conf.php
> $_prefs['fullname'] = array(
>     'value' => '',
>     'locked' => false,
>     'shared' => true,
>     'type' => 'implicit'
> );
>
> // user preferred email address for From: line
> // see also $conf['hooks']['from'] in conf.php
> $_prefs['from_addr'] = array(
>     'value' => '',
>     'locked' => false,
>     'shared' => true,
>     'type' => 'implicit'
> );
>
> // user preferred email address for Reply-To:, if different from From:
> $_prefs['replyto_addr'] = array(
>     'value' => '',
>     'locked' => false,
>     'shared' => true,
>     'type' => 'implicit'
> );

Forgive me if i'm restating the obvious.  But did you try adding a new
"identity" under IMP.

Options -> Personal Information -> Click "edit your identities"

If you type a new one (including a new _from_ address) while the identity
dropdown still says "select an identity", i'm will create a new one by the name
you provide upon submission.

You can hop back and forth on a "per message" basis, and alternate your default
identity by selecting it under Options->Personal Information.

To permanently switch just update the default one and don't bother creating a
new one.

--
Ryan