[imp] Imp Login options

Yannick Cayer ycayer at 3webmedia.com
Thu Dec 5 15:02:31 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Rostetter [mailto:eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 18:53
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] Imp Login options

Quoting Yannick Cayer <ycayer@3webmedia.com>:

> I am running Horde 2.0/Imp 3.1 on a Redhat 7.2 Machine.

I think those should work fine, though I'm more familiar with Horde 2.1.

> I would like them to use their user@domain information
> to logon to imp. However I cannot put that in Realm because we have
> several domains hosted on that server.

Well, you probably could force it in there if you tried hard enough, but it
would be much easier to use the provided hooks instead :)

> Is there a way I can setup IMP so (with a hook function perhaps)  that
> it will get the user@domain from my /etc/mail/virtusertable file and
> "map" it to the right account so my users could logon using
> user@domain  instead of a cryptic account name?

Yes, though I don't know of anyone who has done this, or any code to do it.
You would need to modify the provided vinfo hook to:

1) Take the provided user@domain address
2) Open the virtusertable database and resolve the user@domain to userid
3) Return that userid

It would be tempting to use the virtusertable flat file, but I would take
the extra steps of using the database file instead.  PHP has functions to
deal with most *db database formats, which I think would work for your case.

Problem is, I don't know php enough to do this. I could do it in perl
without any problems but not in php all that easily.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!