[imp] IMP downloading lastest production release

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 9 19:44:30 2002

Quoting Hammad <hammad@brisksolutions.com>:

> Thank you guys, you been great help. I have checked out successfully the HEAD
> version of horde, imp, gollem etc...
>
> Whats the best way to customize the modules?

Generally speaking, any changes you made will survive cvs updates, or result
in a conflict which you will need to resolve manually.  The exception is
for cases like when a file you modify is deleted/moved/renamed, etc.

> Is it going to overwrite my customization, if so how can I solve this
> problem.

Generally not.  Most cases where it would either don't exist, or are cases
of deletes/renames/etc as mentioned above.

> I was thinking of something like this: make two copies of each module, one
> production and one test. Customize test, if it works move it to production.
> Later upgrade test, if I loose customization then redo them again, if works
> move it to production. This sounds a bit nasty but if anyone have better
> idea,
> plz share.

I always keep a production and test version.  Update test version, test it
well, when I'm convinced it works I make it the production version and start
the cycle over again.

This is just common sense, IMHO.  It really adds no significant additional
work, and makes sure your production version stays as stable as possible
when using CVS.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics