[imp] upgrades RH 7.1 to 7.3

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 10 12:53:24 PST 2002

Quoting Chris Swenson <cswenson@students.curry.edu>:

> I would like to upgrade my RH 7.1 server from 7.1 to 7.3.  I am running imp
> 3.1, horde 2.1 php 4.1.2.  I was just planning on dropping the RH cd in and
> letting the upgrade run.  Does this raise any red flags to anyone as far as
> imp/horde go.

I've not done that upgrade (7.1 -> 7.3) but I'll tell you what I have found
from various RedHat upgrades.

You may run into the problem where php-imap in 7.1 doesn't support tls
and in 7.3 it does.  If this causes a problem (e.g. login failures), the
solution is to change the protocol from 'imap' to 'imap/notls' in your
horde/imp/config/servers.php file.

Also, I'm not sure where, but somewhere RedHat switch wu-imap from installing
with the mbox driver enabled to installing with it disabled.  If you are
using the mbox driver (to move mail from /var/spool/mail/* to the users'
home directories in an mbox file automatically) then this might trip you
up.  If so, solution is to rebuild from the source RPM with mbox enabled,
or to downgrade to an older version of wu-imap.

Other than that, I think it should work.  I suggest you make a backup of
all your important files first (web server configuration, /etc/php.ini,
sendmail configuration, etc).  Then if the RPM upgrades mess with the
configurations, or the new versions need tweaks, you will have a known
good copy of the old configuration.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics