[imp] smime

Cliff Green green at umdnj.edu
Thu Jan 9 18:57:13 PST 2003

Rick Emery wrote:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
> > Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:
> >
> > > I thought the same thing, so (as a test), I made the file world readable.
> > > I even chown'ed it to apache:apache, but still got the error.
> >
> > It might be the directory above the file that you can't get into. su to
> > apache and try from the command line.
> >
> > -chuck
>
> That's what it was; I gave user "apache" execute permissions (?) on the
> directory containing the root certificate bundle and the error went away.
>
> I'm still told (in the message window) that: "Message Verified Successfully but
> the signer's certificate could not be verified". I assume a little research into
> S/MIME will tell me what that is.

Since you have control of this server, put the signing cert (the one that signed
your correspondent's cert) into your cafile file; you may have to add as many ca
certs as need be to get to the root.  (It may be easier to just put the ca certs in
the directory, hash the directory, and just put the directory name in the cafile
entry in imp's conf.php. YMMV.)