[imp] very slow???

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 7 18:07:05 PST 2003

Quoting jkpsj <jkpsj at yahoo.com>:

> what about if my *first* attempt to login is slow. about 6-8 seconds. which
> finally resulted to
> $reson=failed, even though i *am convinced* that the password was correct.

That info would be useful :)

> AND after that first hurdle (slow login), everything is fast; which includes
> logout and login again.

Even more useful.

> could this be due to the hard drive going to sleep on my first attempt to
> login ?

Yes.  Or a network card going to sleep.  Or a computer (OS) going to sleep.

> i suspected this is the case bcos i am the only user on this test machine :)
> anyway pls advise.

Could be a sleep (apm) issue. More likely that than disk cache or something
else.

If so, you should be able to hear it spinning up when it is hit (standing
near it of course).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics