[imp] Tuning IMP for performances

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 19 15:48:43 PST 2003

Quoting Sylvain Fauvel <fauvel at inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca>:

> 	Is there some information on hardware and OS tuning for IMP performances.

Just various past mailing list postings.  Also, look at various general
performance web sites like linux/solaris/whatever tuning, apache tuning,
php tuning, etc.

> 	The main complaint about IMP here is about speed.

Often is.

> 	I am mostly interested in tuning of IMP/PHP parameter "memory_limit"
> 	in php.ini.  Anyone have some guideline on how to determine proper value
> 	for a given available RAM.

It mostly effects file uploads, so I set it based on that and RAM available.

>  I assume that if it is too large i will
> 	end up with swap space usage that slows down the server.

Yes.   But unless you have a very small memory machine, it should never be
so large as to induce swapping.  If it is, then something is out of whack.

> 	Are there other parameter i should experiment with to optimize user
> 	interface speed.

I just today, in response to your message, created a horde/docs/PERFORMANCE
file for performance tips.  Right now, there isn't much in it.   But hopefully
it will grow to contain more info.

Chora Link:  http://cvs.horde.org/co.php/horde/docs/PERFORMANCE?r=1.1

--
Eric Rostetter