[imp] can't open stream imap

Greg gsml at netops.gvtc.com
Wed Mar 5 21:42:17 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 18:47, Greg wrote:
> I'm having an issue where at the login prompt i get a bad pw error.  If
> i go look in imap's logs it says i loged and right back out such as
> this:
> Mar  6 12:08:49 spectre imapd[7195]: imap service init from
> 216.177.160.105
> Mar  6 12:08:49 spectre imapd[7195]: Login user=greg host=gltp.gvtc.com
> [216.177.160.105]
> Mar  6 12:08:49 spectre imapd[7195]: Logout user=greg host=gltp.gvtc.com
> [216.177.160.105]
>
> the horde.log file hasn't shown an entry since the last time i
> sucessfully logged in (yesterday early morning)
>
> The problem started when I went to go look at upgrading to 3.2 of imp
> and realized it was gonna take a lot of work so reverted (just moving
> directories around since I hadn't changed anything outside the imp
> directory).  When I went to go do this upgrade I noticed the php-4.2.3
> upgrades from horde and did those just before trying the change. Then I
> re-installed pear-4.1.0.  This worked fine for a day.  Then I starting
> getting pear related errors.  I went and verified my pear install and it
> seemed right so i verified the php packages and the main php rpm was
> missing files.  So i reinstalled the php and pear and all those error
> went away but now i'm getting the current problem of not being able to
> log in.
>
> I went the the imp/test.php and pointed it at my server and got this:
> --
> Server="spectre.nytefyre.net" user="greg"
> mailbox="{spectre.nytefyre.net:143}Mailbox"
>
> Warning: Couldn't open stream {spectre.nytefyre.net:143}Mailbox in
> /var/www/html/mail/horde/imp/test.php on line 157
>
> Warning: imap_mailboxmsginfo(): supplied argument is not a valid imap
> resource in /var/www/html/mail/horde/imp/test.php on line 158
> Mailbox has messages ( new recent)
> Warning: imap_close(): supplied argument is not a valid imap resource in
> /var/www/html/mail/horde/imp/test.php on line 160
> --
>
> So i tried pointing at another imap server I have access to and it
> worked. Any ideas? This is my setup:
>
> RH7.2
> Qmail 1.03
> qpopper4.0.3
>
> mysql-3.23.54a-3.72
> mysql-devel-3.23.54a-3.72
> mysql-server-3.23.54a-3.72
> mysqlclient9-3.23.22-8
>
> php-4.2.3-0horde1
> php-mysql-4.2.3-0horde1
> php-ldap-4.2.3-0horde1
> php-imap-4.2.3-0horde1
>
> imap-2001a-1.72.0
> imap-devel-2001a-1.72.0
>
> poppassd-ceti-1.8-4rh72
>
> and finally:
>
> Horde Versions
>       * Horde: 2.1
>       * IMP: 3.1
>       * Turba: 1.1
>       * Kronolith: 1.0
>       * Mnemo: 1.0
>       * Nag: 1.0
>       * Passwd: 2.0

> [...]

I finally found something about this and fixed the problem
referencing this e-mail:
-----------------
List:     imp
Subject:  Re: [imp] Problem Logging On
From:     Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter () physics ! utexas ! edu>
Date:     2003-02-24 15:55:55
[Download message RAW]
You need to add /novalidate-cert and/or /notls to your protocol as
documented in horde/imp/config/servers.php.

/notls should tell it not to negotiate ssl, which should solve the
problem
for you.  If not, or if you want to use ssl, then use /novalidate-cert
so it won't fail on the self-signed certificate.
------------------

But according to the documentation (and the fact that this was working 2
days ago) it says:
-snippet from imp/config/servers.php-
* protocol: One of 'imap/notls' (or only 'imap' if you have a
* c-client version 2000c or older)
-end snippet-

Well i never had this specified and i'm running 2001a of imap.. and its
worked for well over a year...

so beats the heck out of me.. but now i've got a db problem *grumble*
--
Greg <gsml at netops.gvtc.com>