[imp] Server disables LOGIN, no recognized SASL authenticator

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 20 15:27:19 PST 2003

Quoting Tenebrae <tene_IMP at niceboots.com>:

> Quite possibly.
> Unfortunately, I'm much more familiar with port 25 and 110 commands, so
> I'm not sure how to test the IMAP server.
> I'm getting this when I telnet to port 143:
> (Host names and IPs have been changed to protect the guilty.)
>
> #telnet myserver.mydomain.com 143
> Trying 127.0.0.1 ...
> Connected to myserver.mydomain.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED]
> myserver.mydomain.com IMAP4rev1 2002.332 at Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:04:50
> -0800 (PST)
>
> Somehow, LOGINDISABLED doesn't look right...
> 								-Tenebrae.

You seem to have set it to not allow clear text logins over an non-secure
connection.  So you can try connecting to it over the ssl port, or using
the tsl support, or reconfigure it to use plain logins over a non-secure
(non-ssl/tls) connection.

It looks like wu-imapd, which means you probably want to change the
SSLTYPE variable (I think from nopwd to unix, but not sure -- see the
docs).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics