[imp] imp slow due to stat of entire home directory

Stan Swiercz stan at cs.concordia.ca
Tue Apr 22 18:07:07 PDT 2003

We have IMP 3.1 installed and UW IMAP. We have IMAP/ as directory where
IMAP folders are kept on our Solaris host and IMAP/ is set in the servers.php
file.

When some of our users with a lot of files in their home directories use IMP
they complain of long delays everytime they try to do anything. I have traced
the imapd process and it is stating every file/subdirectory in their home
directory. The weird thing is if I set 'folders' ==>  to a directory that
does not exist, the stat's are not performed. As soon as I create this new
directory and create a folder within it, once again the entire home
directory is stat'd by UW IMAP.  I have tried several versions of  IMAP and
the results are the same. We did not see this problem with IMP 2.x.

I noticed that in each subdirectory imapd was stating for .mxindex.I removed the
mx driver from imapd and the .mxindex files were not stated.
I then removed most of the mail drivers in c-client and that reduced the
time taken somewhat but not a great deal.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Any help would be appreciated.

Stan
* Stan Swiercz              * Room: LB-915,  Tel: 848-3054,  Fax 848-2830   *
* Manager Apps and Info Sys * Email: stan at cs.concordia.ca                   *
* Dept. of Computer Science * WWW: http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~staffcs/stan *
* Montreal, Canada          *  A clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind!  *