[imp] IMP, and NS-mail-type patch

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Apr 26 23:37:32 PDT 2003

Quoting Diego Rivera <lrivera at racsa.co.cr>:

> I seem to recall a while back someone wrote a patch that could make IMP
> look like netscape mail (or other mail clients for that matter) by
> showing folders on the left, folder summary contents on the top right,
> and the contents of a message on the bottom right.

Yes, there was an unofficial patch for that.

> Does anyone know where this might be found?  Has anyone updated it for
> IMP 3.2.x?

I seem to recall it was for IMP 3.0, and was updated for IMP 3.1RC?, but
I don't know, and doubt, that it was updated for IMP 3.2...

A few people took the patch, ran with it, improved it, bragged about
thier improvments on the IMP mailing list, but never submitted any
code or patches back for others to use.

> I also recall reluctance to integrate it into base IMP for the (good)
> reason that it should AT MOST be an option to display in that manner,
> not the unique display.

The patch was always optional (a preference setting) so I'm not sure
why you didn't think it was.

The problem with the patch is that it hasn't been maintained/updated
as IMP has changed.  I originally put it in, and kept it for a while,
but finally gave up as it was too hard to upgrade IMP without the patch
being updated in a timely manor.

> I'd like to find the original one, and see if I can come up with an
> "optionable" one that could be integrated into IMP.

The one I had, IMP-MP (IMP Multi-panel) by Atif Ghaffar was always
an option/preference based on as far as I know.  But I don't know if/where
it is available any more...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics