[imp] IMAP alerts lost at login

David Shafer david-shafer at uiowa.edu
Wed May 14 06:10:40 PDT 2003

I've run into a problem with IMAP alerts (such as over-quota notices) being
lost when a user logs in. I've verified that the IMAP server sends the
alert, and that PHP receives it, but IMP isn't displaying it to the user.
I'm running IMP 3.2.1.

>From what I can tell, the alert is being returned after the implicit
imap_close() when redirect.php completes. At that point, the user has been
authenticated with a HALFOPEN IMAP connection, but the script has completed
executing, so there's no way to catch the alert that's returned. When the
user is redirected to mailbox.php, it's a new script, the alert is gone, and
calls to imap_alerts() come back empty.

My redirect.php is at version 1.23.2.16. I tried adding some code to trap
alerts before redirect.php completes. It seems to get the job done, but
_only_ if there aren't any maintenance tasks at login, which suggests
horde/maintenance.php suffers from the same problem. That makes me think
there must be a better way to accomplish this.

Does anyone have any ideas? What's the best way to make sure these IMAP
alerts are always being caught and displayed to the user, as required by the
RFCs?

	 - Dave

--
David Shafer