[imp] Lowercase "INBOX" in the menu

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 10 07:49:34 PDT 2003

Quoting Veronique Marchand <veronique at talafone.com>:

> > You might be able to, but it isn't recommended.  If I were to try, I would
> > edit the appropriate imp/po/ files to change it, as described in the faq
> > at http://www.horde.org/faq/admin/
>
> Ah, ok thanks... I assume you mean the part about the translations.

Yes.

> > Not sure if that will work for this case, as INBOX is a special case (see
> > below).  But it should work...
>
> Well I edited the "imp.po" file and changed "INBOX" to "Inbox", and I
> recompiled it using Make Install. Is that all I should have to do?

In some cases you will need to restart your web browser and your web
server.  The browser because it caches things, and some (but not all)
web servers won't pick up gettext changes unless you restart them
(probably best to stop and start it, rather than a restart, if possible).

> Because
> it didn't seem to have worked... I logged out just in case, but there were
> still no changes. Did I miss something? :)

Maybe.  Try restarting the web server.  And does it not work anywhere, or
some places but not others, etc?

> Do I have to create a pack for English (US) or something, even though it
> seems to be the default language?

Yes.  If you want to change the English US translations, which are the
default, you will need to create a en_US file (or edit the source code,
which is a really really bad idea).

> > You should look up in the IMAP specs why this is reserved, and once you
> > understand that explain to your boss why it is that way and why you
> shouldn't
> > change it.
>
> Yes, I understand it's a reserved IMAP string. I thought it could still be
> somehow displayed otherwise in the interface.

You probably should be able to change it anywhere except the folder listings.

> After all, it does show a
> different string according to the language version. Just not in English...

Yes.  That is why I said you can try a new translation string (for en_US if
that is what language you use).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics