[imp] Language and logging

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jun 19 04:29:14 PDT 2003

Zitat von Son Truong <svt at st-andrews.ac.uk>:

> I am using Horde 2.2.1 with IMP 3.2.1 and I am still having problems with
> character translations for the horde.log file.
>
> If I log in using (for example) Greek as my language, the log file will
> show:
> Éïýí 19 09:58:51 HORDE [notice] [imp] Login success for ...
>
> This happens for Russian KOI8-R also, but I assume it doesn't work/work
> for other languages (I haven't fully tested as I am stuck in the middle
> of
> June). [For Russian KOI8-R: éÀÎ 19 09:53:36 HORDE ... ]
>
> Is this still a bug, or do I need to turn on 'log in ASCII' or something?

This is different from what has been fixed already. The problem is, that the
Log class uses strftime() to output the log time. This function depends on
the current set locale.

We might be able to fix this by switching the locale to 'C' before logging a
message and restore the original locale after that. But this is perhaps
better fixed in the Log class. Jon?

> Regards,
> Son
>
> Jan Schneider wrote:
>
> > Zitat von Son Truong <svt at st-andrews.ac.uk>:
> >
> > > Am I correct in saying that Horde/IMP is trying to save and write
> > > to the log file using a Japanese character - a character outside of
> > > the character set that the underlying system doesn't understand?
> >
> > You are correct.
> >
> > > If this is so, how can fix this so that the translated characters are
> > > translated back (or to something sensible) when performing
> > > system specific tasks (such as writing files and logging)?
> >
> > This has been fixed already in CVS. You might want to give IMP 3.2-RC1
> a try.

Jan.