[imp] Full IMAP support

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 25 14:43:26 PDT 2003

Quoting ES <enno_schulz at gmx.net>:

> now I've read the RFC's regarding IMAP.

Good.

> What I want to achive is that all incoming AND outgoing mail should be
> stored on the mailserversystem (Domino), which is not the system running
>   IMP!

That is about the normal method of using it.  This is a standard setup,
nothing special.

> When sending with SMTP then I would have no copy on the mailserver for
> the outgoing mail

That isn't right.  IMAP will allow you to save the outgoing mail via
imap to a folder in your account.

> (no, I would not prefer to send an additional mail
> automatically to the inbox via SMTP also ;-)).

Not needed, unless you use pop3 instead of imap.

> Therefore I think the way the courier server manages the sending thru a
> special INBOX.Outbox folder is a good way to achieve my goal.

Okay, but not needed.  IMP already does this all for you with standard
imap/smtp.

> Furthermore it's very easy for me to get a similar functionality
> integrated in my domino-mailserver mailbox-handling routines.

But not needed.

> Now I would need some assistance how I could teach IMP to compose a
> message, store it in INBOX.Drafts, copy it to INBOX.Outbox with the IMAP
> functions already there with php or PEAR Net_IMAP.

It will only save to the draft folder if the user clicks on the "Save Draft"
But it can be set to always put a copy in the Outbox when sending it.

> Maybe this could be a general way for sending messages via an IMAP
> server, because the idea of automated sending of messages out of a
> special folder is extremly easy to implement for other mailservers as well.
> Chuck, is this a way for coding this goal?

Your goal doesn't seem to need any coding.  It is just a standard imap/smtp
setup, as far as I can tell.

> Greetings from Bremen, Germany
> Enno
>

> ES schrieb:
> > Chuck Hagenbuch schrieb:

> >> Huh. I suppose if someone submitted a driver for this I could consider
> >> adding it
> >> to the Mail package. Maybe. :)
> >>
> >> -chuck
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
> >> The alligators were there, too, in a bathtub inside the house.
> >>

> > What about the PEAR Net_IMAP-0.4.tgz functionality?
> >
> > I'm new to the IMAP stuff, but when I understand it right it should be
> > possible to do an IMAP compose, IMAP send with PHP.
> >
> > Do you think that's possible to use this Net-IMAP Module for sending
> > mails initiated in IMP with an IMAP-Server that has the ability
> > implemented?
> >
> > Maybe you could give some hints on achieving this.
> >
> > Enno

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin