[imp] Speed Issues with IMP and high volume messages

Alexander Marx mad-ml at madness.at
Wed Jul 2 15:32:58 PDT 2003

Iain Collins wrote:
[...]
> - For another user, with around 3,000 messages (also with an average size of
> around 2K per message), the time between clicking 'Login' and being greeted
> win a message list is 4 minutes). Getting message headers should take just a
> few seconds (and indeed it does, with other IMAP clients).
>
> The same slowness is oddly also present when clicking 'log off'.
hm ..  sounds to me very much like a network related
issue .. especially halfduplex/fullduplex issues ..

could you try and test you network-connection between the imap-server
and a webmailer? (e.g. with scp'ing a large file between them) is it
reasonably fast? are there interface errors on the webmailers?

i've just verified that on my install (courier/apache2/imp 3.2.1) here
the login takes ~2 secs  (~700 mails in the inbox) ... and a folder
with >9000 mails (~30MB), takes exactly 4 seconds to view

the whole mailbox currently has 805MB and 173528 mails in it,
i know thats is probably an extreme case, but it really shows how
efficient the imp/courier combo really is ...

alex.