[imp] Major email viewing problems

Todd Morrey toddm at bdel.com
Wed Jul 9 15:06:40 PDT 2003

Hi.

I just recently upgraded from IMP 3.1 to 3.2.1.
I am having major issues viewing emails..  everything else seems to work
okay.

Here's a rundown of my symptoms:
Many emails, seemingly random ones though the same emails have the same
problem happen reliably, won't display properly..  This is trying to
view the email from the inbox, like this url
http://imp.mydomain.com/horde/imp/message.php?index=12004

Some go to a "Server not found" / "DNS Error" type of page. This is
really strange because the apache logs show nothing whatsoever that this
url was even requested.  Yet a tcpdump shows that the http request is
being handled normally.

Some go to a normal email viewing page, but the body of the email is
empty.  Viewing the email source looks normal.  This seems to be common
to multi-part emails.

Those two problems seem to be affecting roughly 50% of emails on our
system.  The other half work fine.  I'm having a rough time tracking
down where the problem is taking place, so sorry I don't have many more
details.

Here's my system specs...
Mandrake 9.0
Apache 1.3.27
PHP 4.3.2
libmcrypt-2.5.3
mcrypt-2.6.3
mod_ssl-2.8.14-1.3.27
imap c-client bundled with pine 4.56
latest horde release (2.2.3?)
imp 3.2.1

Note that pine's imap seems to work okay, as all email viewing through
pine works flawlessly.

Any help, ideas, debug suggestions, ANYTHING would be greatly
appreciated :)
We've been banging our heads against this for a day and a half now.
Thanks  :)

-- Todd M.

Some other information that may be overkill:

PHP configure command (ugly, I know):
./configure --with-xml --with-mysql --with-esoob --with-gd --with-apache=../apache_1.3.27 --with-mcrypt --with-imap --with-imap-ssl --with-gettext --with-ldap --with-zlib-dir --with-kerberos --enable-track-vars --enable-force-cgi-redirect  --with-openssl

Apache config:
./configure --with-layout=Apache --prefix=/usr/local/apache
--includedir=/usr/local/include --datadir=/usr/local/apache/trash
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a --enable-module=ssl
--enable-shared=ssl --enable-module=php4 --enable-shared=php4
--enable-module=most --enable-shared=max

My IMP runs as a name based vhost in apache.  Here's the config
section of that vhost in my httpd.conf..  I also have a separate vhost
for ssl (port 443) connections, and it suffers from the exact same
problems (same emails yield the same result)

<VirtualHost my_ip_address:80>
  ServerAdmin toddm at bdel.com
  DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs/imp
  ServerName imp.mydomain.com
  ErrorLog /var/log/apache/imp-error_log
  CustomLog /var/log/apache/imp-access_log common
  DirectoryIndex imp.php index.php

  SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

  <Location /horde>
    Order Deny,Allow
    Allow from All