[imp] FW: uw-2001c and folders problem

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 16 12:12:41 PDT 2003

> I have been asking this question on google to no avail.  I have IMP 3.2
> installed and operation with uw-2001c.  Most features work fine with the
> exception of the folders.  I can create a sub folder under root just
> fine.  I cannot create a subfolder under the inbox or any other subfolder.

Welcome to UW imap where "folder" sometimes means "file" and
sometimes means "directory".  Users supoosedly do not need
to know how mail is stored in the black box, but actually they
do need to know.

At least IMP shows you what they are.  It puts a little manila
folder for directories and  a little tray for the files.  And
Inbox has a different tray symbol because it is special.

Inbox is the magic name of the place new mail goes.  In UW imap
it is a file and you cannot make files inside files.  You make
the other mail folders under what the server considers the user's
home directory, possibly collected in a subdirectory like the
popular names mail or Mail.

By "root" I hope you meant the user's home directory.

In IMP, if you create a folder whose name ends with "/", you get
a directory.  If it has no "/" you get a file.  If it has "/"
somewhere in the middle, e.g. "alpha/beta", it creates directory
alpha if it does not exist yet and creates file beta in it.

Joseph Brennan         Columbia University in the City of New York
Academic Technologies Group                   brennan at columbia.edu