[imp] IMP and UW IMAP pre-prod questions

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Jul 22 08:44:57 PDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Gary Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to thank those who have helped on the first leg of our
> upgrades.  We have been fighting some issues with moving multiple
> exchange accounts over to imap for use with horde/imp.  We would like to
> simulate how exchange does their folders, allowing you to have a folder
> with other sub folders and have files in all folders.  I think the
> current solution is workable and is just a training issue but the big
> question remains...  Is there an IMAP solution out there that can
> produce this type of folder structure fairly painless.
>
> I haven't seen courier imap in action so before trying to go through
> setting it up I was hoping to just get some feedback.
>
> Gary Smith

Gary,

If I understand your question right, UW IMAP won't do what you want.  It
doesn't support folders that contain messages as well as subfolders.  I
don't know if Courier IMAP does or not, but I know Cyrus IMAP does.  We
are migrating our mail server from UW IMAP to Cyrus IMAP in a couple
months.

Here is a sample mail folder structure in Cyrus:

INBOX
INBOX.work
INBOX.work.projects

In Cyrus, there is a tree structure starting from INBOX.  All three of the
above folders can contain messages.

Hope this helps!

	Andy