[imp] header and footer

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Wed Nov 26 14:16:51 PST 2003

Quoting David T-G <davidtg-horde at justpickone.org>:

| Hi again, all --
|
| ...and then David T-G said...
| %
| % [1]  What we actually want to do is, if a header file is present,
| change
| % the content-type to HTML so that the stationery in the header will be
| % visible, and then we'll need to format the plain text so that it's
| % readable as HTML and, as a bonus, attach the plain version for those
| who
| % don't read HTML.  Some of this may be done already but in the course of
|
| In the course of a *lot* of googling I have come up with a couple of
| posts along the same lines.  One thread was basically answered "if you
| want to tack on an ad or such, do it in the footer" and the other "it
| would be a big chunk and a real PITA to change the content-type and
| manage all of that, so don't do it".

First, you should use the correct terminology - in IMP-speak, this text is
actually called "trailer" text instead of "footer" text.

| Are there any pointers to it having been done?  Is anyone out there
| hiding this already completed? :-)  Any hints, even, as to where I'd
| start my digging?  [Yes, I really do speak PHP, though I'm not an expert,
| so I think that I'll at least be able to read the code on my own :-]

What version of IMP/HORDE are you using.  If using HEAD, it should be easy
to just create a multipart/alternative part to do what you want.  If using
IMP 3.x you are probably out of luck, or else it will take a bunch of
hacking to get it to work (since I couldn't even tell you if the MIME
support in IMP 3.x will allow you to do this).

michael