[imp] Bizarre attachment problem

Richard Gilbert R.Gilbert at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 11:26:23 PDT 2004

We have been happily running exactly the same horde (2.2.4)/imp (3.2.2)
set up for most of this year.  Just recently I have come across a number
of examples where an attachment has been replaced by a random message from
the sender's mailbox.  The user composed a message and attached e.g. a
MS-Word document, but the resulting message as received by the recipient
and as saved in the sender's sent mail folder, while claiming to have the
named .doc file in the list of attachments, actually has a base64 encoded
copy of a random message from the sender's inbox.  Where two different
Word documents were attached they were both replaced by two copies of the
same message from the inbox.  This may have happened in the past but it
has only just been brought to my attention.

Things that have changed in our environment since late September are (a)
upgrading to the latest version of up-imapproxy (1.2.2) and enabling the
select cache, and (b) running perdition (1.15) because we now have two
IMAP servers.  Both the imapproxy and perdition are running on the same
V440 server (Solaris 8) as horde/imp.  However, message composition would
seem to have very little to do with the IMAP side of things, although an
IMAP operation would be needed to obtain a copy of the random message from
the inbox.

Has anybody else seen anything similar, or can anybody offer any
suggestions as to where to look?

Thank you in anticipation.

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services