[imp] Re: IMP authentication and email access very slow

Daniel Eckl daniel.eckl at gmx.de
Fri Feb 11 11:24:07 PST 2005

Am Freitag, 11. Februar 2005 19:47 schrieb Eric Rostetter:
> Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
> > > Getting a bit off topic now, but does anyone know why Cyrus would take
> > > _SUCH_ a long to return a folder list with the '. list "" *' command?
>
> Don't know about your Cyrus imap server, but if I do that on my imap
> server, it will traverse my whole home directory.  My mail is kept in
> ~/mail/ so I need to issue instead something like:
>
> . list "mail/" *
>
> to get just my mail folders.  In IMP, you set this prefix in the
> servers.php configuration file...
>
> Just a (quite possibly wrong) guess at a possible cause...

That's a false guess, sorry.

Cyrus has virtual users without a normal home dir. They are jailed into their
mail dirs and cannot break out to a higher level, even if they would try.
Only the "cyrus" user hat a "home dir" one level up, so he can see every
mailbox of every cyrus user with every mail folder. But no other user can do
so.

I'm still trying to construct a scenario where this delay would occur, but I
cannot find one. Every failure case would give an error message on the IMAP
session.

Gavin: Have you tried to install gkrellmd or ksysguardd on the server to
remotely monitor CPU, HDD and network load while the problem occurs?

If it's CPU, then perhaps top can show a causing process.

Best,
Daniel