[imp] Re: Extremely weird IMAP behaviour - IMP or c-client problem?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 21 09:22:34 PST 2005

--On Monday, March 21, 2005 12:02 -0500 Eli <eli-list at experthost.com> wrote:

>> So anyway what really does LIST "" % return?
>
> 0 LIST "" %
> * LIST () "/" "Trash"
> * LIST () "/" "Sent"
> * LIST () "/" "Junk E-mail"
> * LIST () "/" "Drafts"
> * LIST () "/" "Sent Items"
> * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> 0 OK LIST completed.
> 0 LIST "" INBOX/%
> * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> 0 OK LIST completed.
> 0 LIST "" Trash/%
> * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> 0 OK LIST completed.
> 0 LIST "" Drafts/%
> * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> 0 OK LIST completed.
>
> Is that weird?  I would *think* so - no I dea why it advertises the INBOX
> when I'm asking about other folders... but I don't know IMAP that well :)

Yes that is weird.  Given this...

 LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX

...it makes no sense at all to ask LIST "" INBOX/%.  The server already said
there are no inferiors.  IMP does not normally do this.

But even if the client wrongly does LIST "" INBOX/% anyway, the response
from the server makes no sense either.  Now that I see all that above, it
looks like there is just one INBOX.

I can't explain why the client or server is acting like this.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York