[imp] Aspell questions

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sat Apr 2 12:10:37 PST 2005

First, is there a minimum required version of aspell to use with IMP?  I had
aspell 0.33, that shipped with RHEL 3 installed and when you had switched to
HTML composition  in the Compose screen and ran a spell check, aspell started a
runaway process that was eventually killed when all memory was used up.  lsof
showed that the aspell process was trying to check a bunch of deleted files.
It was fine with plain text messages.  It wasn't happy with the -H option on
the command line either.

So I upgraded to 0.60.2 from source today and that works great (provided one
installs a dictionary to go along with it - RPMS make it too convenient to
forget some of the more mundane details :)  And that fixed the problem - it
checks fine.

But now another problem surfaces.  Signatures for the various identities are
stored in an array and each line is broken with \n.  When you switch to HTML
composition, the \n are converted to <br \> and aspell doesn't like that and
wants to recommend a spelling replacement.  So is there a problem in the
Text_Filter calls that go from text2html?  Or is aspell too rigid in not
recognizing HTML code?

Also, I had the same idea that was asked below, regarding saving words in a
personal dictionary (like names or acronyms that you commonly use):

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=110177896728317&w=2

I see it hasn't made the TODO list yet for imp - anyone working on it?

Finally, beware what your IMP spell checker may recommend vulgar words as
replacements for common names.  I found that I needed to edit the dictionary
and remove some words, particularly since one common name would generate stuff
that if you took the time to configure IMP's profanity filters with a few
words, it would probably kick them out :)

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator