[imp] Feature survey: Copying messages

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed May 11 08:58:51 PDT 2005

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> One that strikes me is "copy message" - I realize that I hardly ever
> use this. I move messages all the time, but not copy them. Would others
> please chime in on this? If my usage matches others, I'd like to remove
> the option from the mailbox screen, and either remove it from the
> message screen or at least make showing it a preference, or something
> like that.

I use it here and there in both IMP and Firefox.  Not something I use
every single day, though.

I use "copy" if I want mail to appear in my do-it-sometime-later folder,
or some other folder that fits "temporary in nature" description.  I'll
leave original in my INBOX for reference (and move it to archive folder
after some time).  The copy in temporary folder is there until task is
closed.  Than it gets deleted.

Another usage when I use copy, but not in IMP, is when testing multiple
IMAP servers.  Obviously, in IMP you can't be connected to more than one
IMAP server at a time (or I missed something?), so not really relevant
here.  Mostly something I do using Firefox or batch tools such as imapsync.

I'm also playing with shared folders these days.  I see some potential
usage for copy operation there.  For example if I want to put something
in shared folder for others to see (or maybe even delete, if they have
sufficient permissions ;-) ), but keep a copy of the message for myself
too.  Now that IMP has support for ACLs and stuff, this might be
something more and more users will be interested in using (provided they
have decent IMAP server that supports shared folders and ACLs).