[imp] imp search issue

Xavier Bertou bertou at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 13:14:08 PDT 2005

I've just set up a Horde/Imp/etc. server and am quite impressed by the
result, but one of my concerns was the search interface.
I have moved from my old *nix favorite mail reader (mutt) to gmail,
which had a few nice features, one of them being the search. I use it
all the time, and it really changed my life.
The default search in Gmail just searches all folders (except spam and
trash), and looks for both headers and contents. It is very comon (for
me) to search for a mail from someone talking about something, and
much faster just to enter "someone something" than to separate from:
and body: (this is allowed in Gmail search, BTW).
As an end-user, I would very much like to have a text box, and
whatever I enter there is searched for in any field. Then, prefixing
it by "from:", "to:"... would restrict the search.
Note I have no idea how the search is performed (is the whole mailbox
downloaded on the server?), and I would be happy to understand how the
IMAP interface works when one does a search.
Cheers,
--
Xavier