[imp] imp search issue

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Thu Sep 1 13:21:24 PDT 2005

Quoting Xavier Bertou <bertou at gmail.com>:

> I've just set up a Horde/Imp/etc. server and am quite impressed by the
> result, but one of my concerns was the search interface.
> I have moved from my old *nix favorite mail reader (mutt) to gmail,
> which had a few nice features, one of them being the search. I use it
> all the time, and it really changed my life.
> The default search in Gmail just searches all folders (except spam and
> trash), and looks for both headers and contents. It is very comon (for
> me) to search for a mail from someone talking about something, and
> much faster just to enter "someone something" than to separate from:
> and body: (this is allowed in Gmail search, BTW).
> As an end-user, I would very much like to have a text box, and
> whatever I enter there is searched for in any field.

This is the 'body' search.

> Then, prefixing it by "from:", "to:"... would restrict the search.

Now you are getting a bit too complex for what the search page is
designed for.  You would have to come up with a very intelligent parser
in order to determine if a user is trying to search a specific header
or if the text the user inputs is the actual text they are searching
for.

> Note I have no idea how the search is performed (is the whole mailbox
> downloaded on the server?), and I would be happy to understand how the
> IMAP interface works when one does a search.

IMAP searches are done on the remote IMAP server.

For those unhappy with the current search interface, a compromise: I
could see a configuration option (conf.php) being 'Default search
field' which could be set differently for each installation and with
the default being 'No default field' in order to maintain the current
functionality out of the box.  Comments?

michael