[imp] imp search issue

Xavier Bertou bertou at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 13:32:23 PDT 2005

> > As an end-user, I would very much like to have a text box, and
> > whatever I enter there is searched for in any field.
>
> This is the 'body' search.

Yes and no... If in a month or two I want to find again this
discution, I would enter in the search (from my Gmail habits) a
"slusarz imp search" and hit search. Ok, in this case it would work as
your name is in your signature...

> Now you are getting a bit too complex for what the search page is
> designed for.  You would have to come up with a very intelligent parser
> in order to determine if a user is trying to search a specific header
> or if the text the user inputs is the actual text they are searching
> for.

Ok... So what about adding a field which is "All" that would search
both in the header and the body?

> > Note I have no idea how the search is performed (is the whole mailbox
> > downloaded on the server?), and I would be happy to understand how the
> > IMAP interface works when one does a search.
>
> IMAP searches are done on the remote IMAP server.
>
> For those unhappy with the current search interface, a compromise: I
> could see a configuration option (conf.php) being 'Default search
> field' which could be set differently for each installation and with
> the default being 'No default field' in order to maintain the current
> functionality out of the box.  Comments?

That would do the trick (especially with a 'All' option).
Cheers,
--
Xavier