[imp] Horde and Courier many folders

Warwick Bruce Chapman warwick at thusa.co.za
Tue Jan 17 07:57:41 PST 2006

Chuck, Jan, other gurus

Please try point me in the right direction here... I am happy to search
and tweak and fix myself, but need some idea of where horde is slowing
down here.

I have a server on which several users have over 2000 folders in their
IMAP mailboxes, and I used Horde for their Webmail.  The users with more
than 1000 odd mail folders experience a huge waiting period when logging
into horde (during with the courier-imap process sits around 100%).
Once logged in, things are generally snappy and useable.

Their mail is principally accessed through Outlook using IMAP and
performs well, leading me to believe that the slowdown upon Horde login
has to do with what Horde is asking Courier to do at that time.  To test
this theory, I installed SqWebMail (from Courier), Roundcube and
Squirellmail and results (on a users with 2500 mail folders) were as
follows:
- Outlook performs well and users have no complains
- SqWebmail logs in quickly and performs well (but is terribly ugly)
(<1s for login)
- Roundcube logs in quickly enough and performs well (6s for login)
- Squirrelmail takes an age to login, but is useable once logged in
(>5mins login)
- Horde 3.0.9/IMP 3.0.4 takes between 3-5 minutes to login and is
perfectly useable once logged in.

I tested IMP4 H3 against an Exchange Server and listing the Inbox was
slow, so I set the "On slower mailservers, sorting by any field..."
configuration option to 100 and that was suddenly zippy.  The same
change on the IMP4 H3 / Courier setup had no effect.

Please advise.

Regards
Warwick