[imp] attached excel or powerpoint files get application/msword as mime type

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Wed Feb 22 10:17:59 PST 2006

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org>:

>> Zitat von Yves Bilgeri <yves.bilgeri at bbw.ch>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using Horde3.0.4, IMP4.02 on a Debian/Sarge Server with
>>> the official packages from Debian.
>>>
>>> My question is exactly the same as:
>>>    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=110798353021570&w=2
>>>
>>> Because there isn't a real answer in the thread above, I kindly ask the
>>> same again.
>>
>> There is.
>
> To expand on Jan's answer a bit - if a mail message labels an
> attachment as text/plain when in reality it is image/jpeg, it is not
> IMP's fault for not being able to display the image.  Another example:
> if you tell me your name is "john" but your name really is "mark",
> when i call you "john" don't blame me for calling you by the wrong name.
>
> The fault lies with the sending program for mislabeling the
> content-type of the attachment.

Sorry - hit send before I was supposed to.  What I meant to say was:

The fault lies with the sending program for mislabeling the
content-type of the attachment. In this case, the sending program is
the browser.  If the user's browser attaches a message and tells us it
is a MSexcel document, then that is how we will treat it. In my above
example, the browser is "mark" but telling IMP that it is "john".

michael