[imp] attached excel or powerpoint files get application/msword as mime type

Yves Bilgeri yves.bilgeri at bbw.ch
Thu Feb 23 08:18:14 PST 2006

Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> The fault lies with the sending program for mislabeling the
> content-type of the attachment. In this case, the sending program is
> the browser.  If the user's browser attaches a message and tells us it
> is a MSexcel document, then that is how we will treat it. In my above
> example, the browser is "mark" but telling IMP that it is "john".

Thank you for your explanations. Now I think I've got it.

So I analyzed the POST data produced when I attach an Excel document.

On the one computer who doesn't attach the right MIME type, the Browser
sendes in the POST data this "Content-Type: application/octet-stream"
for the file.

On a similar computer, also WinXP with Firefox, the Browser adds the
correct content-type: Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel

Now what's the difference between the two systems that they handle this
different? What can I change on the system who does the MIME thing wrong?

Thanks, Yves