[imp] IMP 4.1 + UW-IMAP

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Mar 7 20:51:02 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006, Michael M Slusarz wrote:

> >One talks about changing the IMAP server config, which I said I can't do.
> >The other talks about overriding the namespaces settings, but I can't
> >seem to figure out how to actually set a folder prefix using it.
> >The example wasn't terribly clear. Namespace, yes. Folder prefix, no.
>
> There is no such thing as a "folder prefix" for imap.  It is called a
> "namespace" so you need to figure out how to correctly create that
> array for your system.  As it clearly states in the wiki, this feature
> is unsupported so you are on your own (especially since you are trying
> to "work-around" UW-imap's behavior so that you can use other clients
> instead of doing the correct (RFC compliant) way of fixing this by
> limiting the namespaces broadcast by UW-imap).

I'm sure I'm not going to be the only person who will be in this
unfortunate situation and I do understand that the feature is unsupported.
In any case, I'd still appreciate a little help with setting this up.
All I need to do is place folders in "Mail/" or "mail/", depending on the
server I'm talking to.

You'd be quite correct in stating that there isn't a "folder prefix" as
far as the IMAP + IMAP namespace RFC is concerned, but email clients do
have such a concept and said option has already been used. It wouldn't be
the first time a piece of software needed to cater for options which
aren't strictly RFC-compliant.

In any case: can someone give me any pointers, or examples, on what the
correct namespace option(s) for the above would look like?

Adrian